Monday, September 20, 2010

Management Basics


In last week's entry, I talked about Management as a profession. There I listed a number of the key tasks and skills accomplished by professional managers. In this and the next few blogs, I will look at these tasks and skills in greater detail.
The primary management tasks are:
  • Leading
  • Planning
  • Budgeting
  • Organizing
  • Staffing
  • Communicating
  • Directing
  • Risk management
Character / personality traits critical to a successful manager:
  • High personal integrity and moral courage.
  • An ability to communicate clearly through the written and spoken word.
  • A desire to know people and help them improve their performance.
  • An innate sense of justice and a desire to be fair and evenhanded in his/her treatment of others.
  • A commitment to excellence.
  • High tolerance for stress.
  • An passion for order and organization.
This list is in no particular order, nor is it comprehensive. Ask any manager, though, what are the main things he or she does and I'm pretty sure most of these will be in virtually every manager's list.

As for the character / personality traits, I know there are a lot of managers out there missing one or more of the critical traits I listed; heck, I've worked for a few myself. I suspect, though, that most folks would want their bosses / employees to have at least these few good traits. I know they're the biggies I look for when hiring managers...and when deciding whether to work with a client or not.

___________________________

Whether you agree or disagree, I'd love to hear what you think. Feel free to leave a comment here or e-mail me at: TomFawls@Council4SmallBiz.com.

No comments:

Search This Blog