Saturday, April 30, 2011

e-Books and electronic readings

I recently read an on-line discussion of the new "electronic Books" (e.g. Amazon Kindle, iBooks; Sony Reader, etc.) and it got me thinking (again!) about the advances in electronics, display technology and software made over the last decade. 

I've really only seen one Kindle and that only for a short time. I WAS impressed, though that they seem to have solved that "can't see the screen in direct, bright sunshine" issue.

I was on a beach in the mid-day Florida sunshine and saw a woman reading one about 50 feet away. Even from an oblique angle at that distance and with my poor (corrected) vision, I could distinctly make out separate lines of text (I couldn't read the words, but that was an eyes / distance thing!). 

I also liked that they've done a LOT to bring as much of the "look and feel" of a paper book to the electronic screen.  The pages turn, the "paper page" has a textured look to it and the fonts looked like they'd been type-set, not generated by a computer.

Having said all that, though, I'm still not sure I'll ever give up my paper books.

With all your experience with on-line sources and electronic readings, what do YOU think?

____________________________
I'd love to hear what you think. Feel free to leave a comment here or e-mail me at: TomFawls@Council4SmallBiz.com.

2 comments:

daisycottagedonegal@gmail.com said...

I have had a Sony one for about 2 years now. Have yet to read a book on it even through I have read many books in hard/soft back in that time.

I think you just have to take time to "get into" them. I know one of my daughters-in-law uses her Kindle all the time so as I said, I guess you just have to "get into" it.

Catherine

Tom Fawls said...

I think you're right, Catherine. Honestly, though, I do so much reading from a scree during the day that the last thing I want to do is spend my down time reading another computer screen...no matter how unlike a computer it might be. :-)

Search This Blog